25 effective tips to promote an online store
The success of online marketing depends strongly on the visibility of the site in the search. In this article you will find a list of SEO optimization for online stores that will help you attract and convert targeted traffic. Of course, when creating an online store, a large part of the list should be executed by the company that created your online store, but another part of the items covers the content of the site, which o will be handled by you or the people you hire
1. Check the robots.txt file
This is the main tip from which you need to start the search promotion on each site. Using robots.txt, the owners of online stores can solve the following tasks:
• A ban on indexing from the search panel's administrative panel on the site.
• Blocking user account indexing. Perhaps you remember the big scandals relating to the appearance of the buyers of personal data, including payment data and lists of purchased goods.
• Disallow indexing of category pages and other sections of the site where duplicate content may appear.
To prevent indexing the administrative panel of an online shop running WordPress, complete the robots.txt file as follows:
2. Use product-level micro-markup:
There are several reasons for using micro-tagging. One of them is the display of advanced fragments in search engines.
First of all, you can use the Micro-Markup product. In addition, specify the following microdata:
• Rating / reviews.
3. Use effectively descriptive meta tags:
Any search marketer knows the description does not affect site ranking. The description of the pages, however, affects attendance. Search engines often use the description to form a snippet in the feed. Therefore, the meta tag affects clicks on your sitelink.
To improve the performance of page descriptions, use these guidelines:
• Create descriptive content. The description of the pages must really represent them: tell the user what they will see after clicking the link.
• Note that the description encourages transitions. Engage in interest in the user, ask for it or make him go to the site, promise some benefit to him.
• Observe the recommended length of the description - 156 characters, including spaces. You can write more, but the biggest search engines do not show long descriptions.
Note that search engines do not guarantee the inclusion of a description in the snippet.
4. Use the Webmaster Tools "Yandex" and / or Google
The features of webmaster's offices on the two largest search engines are duplicated, so you can only select one tool. With the help of toolbars, you can solve the following tasks:
• Get notification of problems: lack of site access, incorrect or malicious code, manual sanctions, site map issues, etc.
• Track site indexing: the number of pages in the index, excluded URLs, indexing errors.
• Keep track of search queries used by visitors to your site
5. Add reviews to product pages:
When a buyer selects a product, he wants to know the opinion of the people who have already used it. Help your customers - add the ability to leave feedback about your products. By the way, this is a good way to get personalized content.
Please keep in mind that you need real reviews, not fraud. Therefore, follow these recommendations:
• Post any feedback received, including negative feedback.
• Respond to feedback: thank users, promise to
eliminate the shortcomings that have arisen.
• Encourage users to leave feedback. For example, you can give your visitors bonuses for your opinion.
Make sure site functionality allows customers to easily write comments about products.
6. Optimize page titles:
The title page or title is displayed in the output as a link to your site. When creating titles, use the recommendations suggested to write a good description. Note that the length of the title should not exceed 60 characters with spaces.
7. Subscribe to the best blogs and sites dedicated to search engine marketing:
Add a few blogs and websites to Feedly about search marketing. Such resources would be of interest to you:
- Official blogs of "Yandex" and Google.
If you are reading in English, subscribe to such resources:
- Blog company MOZ.
- Search Engine Watch
- Search Engine Land
Do not limit yourself to the listed sites, they are provided as examples.
8. Make a content plan:
According to Hubspot, the availability of the content plan brings the following results to the sites:
• Increase attendance by 55%.
• The increase in natural outdoor connections is 97%.
• Increase the number of indexed pages by 434%.
Impressive, is not it? Open spreadsheet editor and continue. Articles that might be useful to you:
- What is the content plan and how it was created.
- Content Strategies in the New Age of the Internet.
- How to work with the semantic kernel
Plan several months in advance. You can always adjust your plans.
9. Add content to categories of pages:
Pages of the categories of information sites do not represent a real value for the users. Because of this, they are often closed by search engine indexing. But the categories of online stores help the audience: users often start looking for the desired refrigerator or bicycle model from the relevant section of the site.
Add a unique description to each page category. For example, describe which product groups the user will find in your store. Try to save the description of more than 300 words. Note that the content of page categories is required by people rather than by search engines.
10. Make a keyword allocation card:
Create a keyword mapping map and site URL. This will help you avoid cannibalization of keys: simultaneously promoting multiple pages on the same request. Be sure to update the map every three months.
11. Add the alt attributes to the photo:
The alt attributes to the img tag make the images on your site more visible when searching for photos. In addition, the alt attribute is displayed when the visitor's browser does not play a photo for any reason.
12. Correct errors 404:
When a user enters a non-existent page, he can calculate that there is no more information about the site. To avoid losing visitors, use redirection 301: redirect users to current pages. Take a look at the 404 error page. Make it informative: Link to the main page, ask the user to use site search.
13. Create informative and marketable product descriptions:
Note that you do not need to copy only the texts on the manufacturer's website. Imagine the goods of a potential buyer, try to pass between Scylla on so-called sales texts and Charybdis on boring technical descriptions. In other words, your text should be both informative and marketing.
Think about what information you need to make a decision to buy a phone. Do you need descriptions of stylish curves on the body, shiny panels in which sunlight and fluorescent lamps shine? Do you want to buy a cheap phone? Maybe you need a description of the product features: screen diagonal, memory size, camera and processor characteristics? And in order to overcome the doubts, you need to identify the main advantages of the goods.
Read articles and marketing texts such as:
• 20 characters to sell text for online stores.
• 4 myths for selling texts.
• How to write a selling text.
14. Pay attention to the navigation:
You have to make a convenient menu, navigation system and interconnection. The user must intuitively understand where to find the right product.
15. Allow users to create desktops:
This functionality is perfectly realized in the Amazon store. The description page for every product on the store's website has a "Add to Wish List" button. The buyer can postpone the products you do not like in the trash and in the selected lists. Also, the user can share friends lists on social networks. This is a great opportunity for people who have friends who understand hints.
16. Remove duplicate content:
The most frequently duplicated content on online store websites is published on the product descriptions pages. This happens in such cases:
• Create different pages for different versions of the same product. For example, you create three pages for a model of red, blue and white phones.
• You copy the description from the manufacturer's website. If you do so, refer to the manufacturer's website.
• Crawl content from other sites. Try to create product descriptions yourself.
17. Learn what to do with products that are out of stock.
18. Create detailed user guides for each product category:
You need reviews to help users choose smartphones, TVs or children's clothing.
19. Specify the geographic location of the site:
This helps search engines show your site to users who live in selected regions. To define your membership in the Google webmaster panel, select the "Search Traffic Country and Language" menu.
20. Add appropriate videos to product description pages:
Check out how this idea was made by Asos Online Store. This is the case when the picture is worth a thousand words and the video is ten thousand.
21. Increase the download speed of the site:
Users do not like to wait for pages to load. Especially impatient is the mobile audience.
22. Add social buttons to product pages:
Users are thought to voluntarily share useful content, but rarely share business relationships. There are exceptions to this rule, of course. Sometimes the audience uses social sharing networks. For example, this applies to Pinterest users. So add the social sharing buttons to your product pages.
23. Observe the architecture of the object:
First, a convenient architecture provides easy site navigation. Secondly, it facilitates the indexing of resources by search engines. Plan the architecture so that the user does no more than three clicks to reach the lowest level of the site.
24. Make URLs friendly to users and search engines:
Often, content management systems automatically create girlfriends URLs. Ask the vendor of your CMS to explain how to create such addresses.
25. Add a block of similar products to your product pages:
Use cross-selling and apselling. In the first case, you'll need a "Buy this product also" block. In the second, the preferred block is "Similar Goods".
Top SEO Tips:
In order to successfully promote your online store on search engines, you will need to sell high-quality goods at a bargain price and to take care of the convenience of the user. This means that you need to give your customers access to up-to-date information, take care of the happiness of users, and constantly monitor the technical characteristics of the resource. After all, search engines work for consumers as well, so they will definitely appreciate your efforts.